An IP KVM switch makes it feasible to drop the limitations due to long distances, and as such makes it feasible to handle computer systems locally or remotely using TCP/IP protocols. Off-site servers and other computers can be remotely accessed and controlled from a console attached to the KVM switch, or over the web or LAN using a web browser.
Should you be searching for KVM over IP gear there are a couple of important functions you might want to watch out for before committing to a purchase. One can purchase IP KVM Switches of good quality and at standard prices from Rack-Mount & Desktop KVM Switches.
Investigate whether the change is flexible and secure enough to meet your needs, and assess if it provides you the fantastic performance you would like. Here’s a list of a few of the main features to consider:
- Do you want to be able to automatically detect video resolution to get a high-quality display?
- Do you want integrated microprocessor emulation for individual port booting?
- Do you require a KVM with an integrated BIOS level access for the government?
- Will you require built-in plug and play technology which won’t require software installation on servers and remote PCs?
- Some models include an automated scanning ability that constantly assesses servers at intervals between 5 and 99 seconds. Is this something you’d need?